13 January, 2011

I carried a watermelon.

I always loved Dirty Dancing. I hardly know any women who doesn't. I lost track of how many times I've already seen the movie that was published before I was even born. I remember being 6 or 7 years old and I found a video tape in my mum's drawer, saying 'Dirty Dancing' and I didn't have the slightest idea what that was about.

Took some time until I finally got around to see the movie and it was love at first sight. Don't ask me why, it just happened. I couldn't help it. I know every single line of that movie by heart and I still can't help but be happy every time I watch it. Bought the black DVD – I think that was the Collector's Edition – a few years ago and my sister hated me since we still shared a room back then...

I know got the 'Keepsake Edition'. It's the white one with the pink, glittery font on the front and I've never seen anything more beautiful. I mean, not just the font but the whole DVD. There's the movie of course, outtakes – which are far too short!!! - music videos, interviews, tributes and so on.

What I really enjoyed was the section with Deleted, Alternate and Extended Scenes. I was surprised there are quite a lot and some of them are really lovely and I don't think they should've been deleted at all, but well... I loved seeing all this stuff about Mountain Lake Resort where the main part of the movie was filmed and I can't believe that most of the things still look the same way they did in 1987! I really feel like going there, that would be fab. And for those of you who actually saw the movie, you know how nice it it! (Well, I think it is...)

I tried to think of a reason why this movie fascinates me – and many other people around the world – so much. I can't think of any movie that's still so popular even 23 years after the premiere!
Though I don't know how to dance, I always loved dancing and as soon as I'll be back in Germany, I decided that I'll finally start taking dance lessons. It's been far too long now and I wanted to get a new hobby anyways... Sometimes I kinda envied Baby. I confess I'm one of the people who would've loved going to the 'Catskills' and have such a great summer... And to say it with the words of one of the producers, many people probably love the movie so much because they never had such a summer and probably never will. There may be something true about it.

I love Jennifer Grey. She's so gorgeous, even at the age of 50. She's lovely and she looks great and seeing her on 'Dancing with the Stars' made me love her even more. I'm so happy she won, she was perfect and so was Derek Hough (Of course!!!!) They were so cute together – let's just ignore that fact that he could be her son, age-wise – and I loved every moment of watching her dancing so beautifully. Their waltz was absolutely stunning, though I loved all her dances.

That needed to be said and I'm still in awe of the whole thing. The dvd is great and I love all those background information. That's why I'm now going to watch the dvd. Surprise, Surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment